Welcome to Inkscribes!

A small scribble on the rather large face of the internet.
Follow Me

F is for...



By  Alyssa Cormier     2:10 PM    Labels:,,,, 

Fairy Ring


     "I double dog dare you," Jake said. My twin smirked at me.
      "Cut it out," Will said. He was more my friend than Jake's. But Mark, more Jake's friend than mine, egged me on.
      "Don't be such a chicken," he said.
      I stared at the ring of mushrooms. They were white and bulbous, hundreds of them clustered together formed a large ring. Our Grandmother told us never under an circumstance, even a double dog dare, to enter one. Was this why we weren't allow in the North Woods? They weren't concerned about bears at all, they were concerned about this.
     "Bock, bock, bock," called Mark.
      Will shook his head. "Don't do it."
      "Yer both chickens," my brother taunted.
      "It's just old stories," I said. "You heard mom, Grandma's off her rocker."
      "I dunno," Will whispered, standing at my side.
       Before I could say anything else, Jake's hands dug into my shoulders and he shoved me forward. Will tumbled into the circle with me.
      I fell, huffing against the grass and hurried to my feet, spinning around to confront my twin.
     Jack and Mark were gone.
     A strange dark forest loomed over us, and a shadow stood at it's edge, waiting, I knew, for us to step out of the Fairy Ring.

About Alyssa Cormier

Born in Newfoundland and currently living in Ontario. Alyssa lives with a house full of boys, 3 sons and a husband. She is a Writer, Artist and Artisan. Who, along with running an online shop called The Night Craft, takes custom commissions, and continiously works on her writing.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a child I used to like to listen stories about fairies... There is one in particular that I love. It says that when on the grass there are a perfect small circle darker than the rest of the green grass, it´s because fairies were playing there the night before. I told the story to my daughter, and in spring is funny watching her running on the grass looking for the spots where fairies left their mark. The fairy ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see those as well and I didn't know they were Fairy Rings. It's pretty interesting. :)

      Delete