Welcome to Inkscribes!

A small scribble on the rather large face of the internet.
Follow Me

P is for...



By  Alyssa Cormier     10:31 AM    Labels:,, 

Prima Materia


     The mixture blackened.
     I let the contents boil before adding a few ingredients for the whitening, and when the process was complete I settled the mortar on a bed of ice.
     Once cooled, I added the seven ingredients for the yellowing, and the solution sparked to life, bursting into a yellow flame.
     The last phase was the reddening. At least that's what everyone was told. It had never been seen.
     I dropped in the white sand, the fire flared so hot I turned away. When I looked again the mortar contained a misshapen glass-like rock. I held the last item over the flame; an ancient piece of volcanic rock and it twisted in my hand.
     The rock pierced my flesh; cursing, I dropped it to the floor and it shattered. I scrambled to pick up the pieces but even as I did I heard the flame sizzle and die.
     Again.
     Failed again.
     Kneeling on the floor, I clenched the rocks tight and the pain brought me back to reality.
     I climbed to my feet, preparing myself for the black coal-like substance that always resulted in a failed Philosophers stone.
     In a failed attempt at discovering the Prima Materia.
     The stone sparkled. All angles and crusted around the edges.
     But it sparkled, glowed with inner light.
     Like blood.

About Alyssa Cormier

Born in Newfoundland and currently living in Ontario. Alyssa lives with a house full of boys, 3 sons and a husband. She is a Writer, Artist and Artisan. Who, along with running an online shop called The Night Craft, takes custom commissions, and continiously works on her writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment