Welcome to Inkscribes!

A small scribble on the rather large face of the internet.
Follow Me

Y is for...



By  Alyssa Cormier     9:53 PM    Labels:,,, 

Yggdrasil


     It loomed over me, the largest specimen of its kind that I've seen. Among the other trees of the National Park it wasn't exactly out of place. All the Red Woods and Sequoias were massive. The largest trees in the world.
     But this was an Ashwood.
     How had it gone unnoticed? The branches spread so wide and far that the tree tops of the surrounding red woods got lost in its foliage
     I reached out and touched the ridged grey bark of the tree and smiled. It was warm beneath my fingers.
    Craning my neck back, I stared up into the branches and shook my head in wonder, stepping back as a helicopter seed drifted downwards on the breeze. I held out my hand and the key floated into it. It was the size of my palm and the green pod pulsed with life.
     Wind whipped through the clearing and I clenched the seed to my chest, moving closer to the tree for cover. With seed in hand, I braced myself as against the tree, and as we made contact the tree flared with light and I closed my eyes against it.
     The wind died down and I peeked opened my eyes. A door of light glowed within the trunk of the tree and the key, the seed of the Ashwood, crumbled in my hand. I stared open-mouthed at the doorway, goosebumps moving up my arms.
     A rainbow bridge spanned from the door, into the tree and a shadowy figure stepped forward.
     "Yggdrasil has favoured you mortal and has granted you access to the corridor between worlds, do you wish to use the Bifrost?"

About Alyssa Cormier

Born in Newfoundland and currently living in Ontario. Alyssa lives with a house full of boys, 3 sons and a husband. She is a Writer, Artist and Artisan. Who, along with running an online shop called The Night Craft, takes custom commissions, and continiously works on her writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment